Sunday, June 24, 2012

Daily 5 Chapter 2










1 .What goals do you have for your classroom as you work to implement the principles and foundations of the Daily 5 discussed in chapter 2? What support do you need to do this?
My first goal is to start with the rules of Read to Self on Day 1.  I was able to do it this past year and it made a world of difference.  That is the way the classroom ran and they immediately learned how to do it!  I quickly learned that I had to alter my Daily 5 because this group could NOT read with a partner.  Rather than chunk the program, I got rid of Partner Reading and used computers (Lexia or SuccessMaker) as a rotation.  This actually worked out great and I need to figure out how to incorporate it back into the rotation this year if I do computers again.
My second goal is to sit back that first week and read along with them.  As the weeks go on, I will have my own group at the teacher's table, but in the beginning I want them to see me reading as well.  I will sit at my back table as if I was with a group, but I feel like modeling will be more effective.  I also plan to model writing more this year.


 2. What stands out as the most significant aspects of this chapter?
Building stamina is the key ingredient. Once they learn how to sit and read alone, sit and read with a partner or how to do word work for the duration of the small group reading session, it is amazing watching the children work independently. In second grade they crave independence and this is tool they need to prove their independence. 


 3. How do the foundational principles of the Daily 5 structure (trust, choice, community, sense of urgency, and stamina), align with your beliefs that support your teaching strategies and the decisions that you make about student learning?
I am a firm believer in the Daily 5.  Children crave (positive) discipline with boundaries.  This is the perfect way to let them be independent, yet intentional about their learning at the same time.




 Look at this adorable stamina chart- Hop on over to Teaching with Style and snag it up for FREE!










Next week we'll hop over to Mrs. Freshwater's Class and Thinking Outloud for chapter three.  Start thinking about your framing questions:
  1. What "rings true for you" in this chapter?
  2. How are your students progressing with picking appropriate books?
  3. What (if anything) could help improve the processes from this chapter in your classroom?


No comments:

Post a Comment